Tuesday, 19 August 2014

IT'S BOOK WEEK - DR SUESS THEME!

Well, I mentioned a while back that book week is happening at my daughter's school this week and today was the day of the book parade and the theme this year was to come as a character from a DR SEUSS book.  Melissa chose to go as Audrey from The Lorax and I was really proud of her decision because she thought outside of the box. Putting the costume together was another story. I couldnt just go and buy one I had to put it together. I realised pretty early on that I was going to have make Audrey's yellow dress and I am so not a sewer but I bit bullet and bought a pattern and material and made the dress.  I did not do a very good job but as it was only for a costume I did not really worry about it being perfect.  I used Make the Cut to create the red swirly flowers on the dress that I cut out of Heat Transfer Vinyl and unfortuantely you cannot really see them in the picture. But I think we got as close to Audrey as was possible.

Here is the look we were going for


 Here is my girl as Audrey


As I said you cant really see the red flower swirls on the dress which is a little disappointing but never mind.

Then came a costume for me, yes, you read that right the school put it out there that parents could dress up too and I thought about it for a while and I decided to go as an actual DR SEUSS book and I chose 'HOP ON POP' as the book for me and Make the Cut came to my rescue and I was able to achieve a very realistic looking HOP ON POP book costume with pages and all!



What's that I hear you say? You want to see a picture of me in it? Really? OK then



I made the actual book out of a big box that I got from the supermarket that is used to pack nappies in.
I was really happy with how it came out and I put some kooky looking glasses on too.
I am holding the prize I got for participating in the book parade which was some nice body products!




4 comments:

  1. That is TOO cute! You inspire me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Will try again :) I am a retired Library Media Specialist and loved dressing up for Book Week. Your Dr. Seuss book is so cute and clever. Loved that you added "pages" to the edge of your book.

    Wish there had been cutters back then. It would have made decorating 10 bulletin boards so much easier.

    ReplyDelete